Think back to your childhood as far as you can go.
- When is the first time that you can recall that you were aware of being a girl or a boy? (Hint: sometimes these are painful events; for instance, when we asked for a toy and were told it wasn’t appropriate for our gender or when we were criticized for behaving like a member of the other gender.)
- How did you feel at the time?
- How do you think you acquired your gender identity?
- Give an example of how your gender was shaped by your family, peers, school, mass media and religion.
- Imagine you were born the opposite sex [a male (if you were born a female) or a female (if you were born a male)]. How would your life be different today? Include such things as hobbies, athletic activities, career paths, marriage, or other areas you think of.
- Are you satisfied with your gender descriptions given your sex?