As a leader in the field of early childhood education, not only is it important for you to understand the trends within the field, but it is also important that you understand why the trends or changes are happening and what the potential implications are for your current or future career. As Bredekamp (2017) states, â€œEarly childhood education is literally a field in transition, experiencing rapid growth and widespread attentionâ€ (p. 27).
Early childhood educators play an integral role in the lives of the children and families they work with, and having a firm grasp on the early childhood education field is paramount to successfully fulfilling that role. That is where your first post of ECE600 begins.
To prepare for this discussion, view the video 11 Early Childhood Federal and State Trends and Strategies. (Links to an external site.)
Also, to prepare for this post you will
- Choose one of the below trends from your Bredekamp text to discuss
- New policy initiatives at the federal and state levels.
- More focus on standards and accountability resulting in increased emphasis on child assessment.
- Calls for greater alignment across the full early childhood age span.
- Increased teacher qualifications.
- Expanding role of technology.
- Increased stress in the lives of children.
- Continuity and Change.
- Choose one of the below Federal or State policies to discuss:
- Strong Start for Americaâ€™s Children Act (2014)
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA)
- Race to the Top
- Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
For both your chosen trend and your chosen policy, include the following in your initial post:
- Explain the trend and policy as well as the history that led to the inception of each.
- Critique both the trend and policy by determining the benefits and detriments both the policy and trend will have on each of the following:
- Propose at least two ways you as an early childhood leader will ensure that you and your staff stay current with regards to policy and trends in the field of early childhood education. Be sure to include the role that accountability plays in your proposed ideas.