For this assignment, you must find a recent (within the last year) news article (from a credible source) about a current event and write a paper about how the article relates to an event or era discussed in this class. This is not an informative paper, but rather you must use critical thinking to discuss how the current event is related to the history weâ€™ve discussed and how it differs. Compare and contrast the present with the past using course readings, lectures, and outside sources (if necessary) to supplement your paper. Any supplemental sources should not be the main focus of your paper; your analysis of the newspaper article chosen is, and it should be obvious which is your main article.
- Find an article from a credible source â€“ avoid 24-hour news channels (Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc.)… If you are unsure of your source, please email me. Also, do not use op-eds (opinion pieces), as they are not investigative journalism.
- Be specific. I want you to really think about this article and your response to it and how it fits into our course… You MUST cite course materials (lectures, readings, etc.)
- Do not find a recent article about a past event that does the comparison for you… this defeats the purpose of the assignment.
- Avoid replacing arguments with examples. Use examples to illustrate a general claim, not as a replacement for them. Examples by themselves tend toward selection bias and hasty generalizations.
- I am interested in content, not clever rhetorical flourish. Thus, avoid filler material… DO NOT USE BLOCK QUOTES FROM THE ARTICLES OR READINGS. Direct quotes should be no longer than 2 sentences, MAXIMUM.
- IF YOU DO NOT CITE, EVEN WHEN YOU PARAPHRASE, IT WILL BE CONSIDERED PLAGIARISM. PLAGIARIZED PAPERS WILL BE PENALIED EITHER BY AN F ON THE PAPER OR THE COURSE AND WILL BE REPORTED TO THE DEAN.
- PROOFREAD YOUR PAPER. You will be marked off for typos, punctuation errors, and/or major disorganization.
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Use page numbers
- The heading of your paper should be your name ONLY.
- 1-inch margins all around