Last week we explored the basic concepts and theories of sociology. This week we examine how groups form the basic fabric of contemporary society. We explore the basic elements of social structure, the mechanisms of social control essential to encouraging conformity, and the structured ranking of entire groups of people in a society.
Respond to the following in a minimum of 175 words:
Think about groups you belong to.
- What primary and secondary groups do you belong to?
- How did you become associated with these groups?
- How do those groups affect how you behave?
- What differences exist among the groups in which you belong and other groups in your community?
- How do sociologists explain these differences?