1. Select one (1) of the following questions for research. Research sources of information can include Internet sources, books, articles, videos, etc. Every explanation must include a picture/diagram that helps detail your answer. Then post your answer to one of these in Web Research 6.
- Discuss the evidence for Snowball Earth.
- What is the Snowball Earth hypothesis?
- What evidence exists that the Earth was covered with ice?
- When did Snowball Earth events take place?
- How did the Earth turn into a snowball? What caused it?
- Provide pictures/diagrams to illustrate.
- How did the continental crust of the Earth form?
- How is the continental crust different from the oceanic crust?
- What was there before continental crust formed?
- Where do we find remnants of Earth’s earliest continental crust?
- What type of rocks are these?
- Provide pictures and/or diagrams to illustrate.
- What lifeforms existed during the Archean?
- What are stromatolites?
- Discuss the importance of stromatolites in the formation of Earth’s modern atmosphere.
- Do paleontologists believe that stromatolites were the earliest organisms on Earth? Why or why not?
- Discuss and provide evidence for other lifeforms during the Archean.
- Provide at least one picture or diagram.
- What are stromatolites?
- What are banded iron formations?
- Where do we find them?
- Why are they so important relative to the early atmosphere on Earth?
- Are they still forming today? Why or why not?
- Provide a picture or diagram.
2. In Web Research 6
- State the question(s) you selected to research.
- Post a synopsis, based on the results of your research, with answers to the question (and the sub-questions) selected. In the synopsis, include a brief explanation of the significance of the knowledge you learned from your research (two paragraphs) and on the importance to historical geology (one paragraph).
- Cite the reference source(s) of your research in proper citation format.
Grading Criteria Demonstrates comprehension of research question through detailed explanations. 3 points Applies concepts, definitions, etc. from assigned readings or other reference resources. 3 points Includes an explanation of the importance to the study of Historical Geology. 2 points Picture or diagram provided 1 point Writing is clear, concise and free of spelling and grammatical errors. Uses APA Style to cite reference sources. 2 points Comments to two (2) other students’ postings. 4 points TOTAL 15 points
Do not worry about commenting on other students.