Primary Discussion Response is due by Friday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Tuesday (11:59:59pm Central).
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
There are several types of stratification. Among the most common are stratification by gender, race, ethnicity, age, and social class.
It can be difficult to be empathetic until walking in someone else’s shoes. This week, you will do just that. Assume the role of someone who is different from you in terms of race, gender, ethnicity, age, or social class, and discuss how this person is affected by stratification. Focus your discussion on the following:
- Explain the person you are describing (their age, race, gender, and so on).
- Discuss what their daily life is like, from the time they wake up to the time they go to bed.
- What are their thoughts and behaviors? Discuss why they may have these thoughts and behaviors.
- Discuss how others may view them or treat them and why.
- Discuss how this person may be stereotyped and what aspects may be true and untrue.
- Explain how walking in the shoes of someone else may help others to become more understanding and empathetic. Make sure to tie this back to sociology.
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.