Invent a Gadget
Think about one task that you perform in the course of your everyday life that you must perform by hand, because there is no existing technological device to do that job.
Imagine that you have all the resources available to you to invent a technological device to do that job for you. In this scenario, you would have funding, a design team, and a means of production. Write about your invention using a standard essay format, with an introduction and additional short paragraphs, and a conclusion to address each of the elements in the directions below.
- Describe the task or service the gadget will perform.
- Give it a name.
- Explain what it looks like — color, size, and shape.
- What materials is it made of?
- How much would it cost to make this technological device?
- Would anyone besides you want to have this gadget to do the task you invented it for? Explain how you know that a market does or does not exist for this invention.
- Is there any other potential use—harmful or beneficial—for this invention?
- Use the textbook or other academic resources to substantiate your ideas about the benefits and potential harm associated with your invention and to give credibility to your thoughts on its marketability.
- Use at least two in-text citations to the course text or other academic reference.
- The essay should be about 2-3 pages in length, plus it must have a title page and a reference page.
Create your Assignment in a Microsoft Word document and submit it through the Unit 2 Assignment Dropbox.
Submitting your Assignment:
When you are ready to submit your paper click on the Dropbox and complete the steps below:
- Click the link that says Submit an Assignment.
- In the “Submit to Basket” menu, select Unit 2: Assignment.
- In the “Comments” field, include at least the title of your paper.
- Click the Add Attachments button.
- Follow the steps listed to attach your document.
- To view your graded work, come back to the Dropbox or go to the Gradebook after your instructor has evaluated it.
- Make sure that you save a copy of your submitted Assignment on your own computer.
A special feature is available to help you with reviewing your Unit 2 Assignment for plagiarism. When you submit your Assignment to the Unit 2 Dropbox, your Assignment will automatically be analyzed by the plagiarism detection tool, Turnitin. Soon after you submit your Assignment, you will be able to view the Turnitin Originality Report. Originality Reports provide a summary of matching or highly similar text found in a submitted paper. When an Originality Report is available for viewing, an icon will appear in the report column of the Assignment Inbox. Originality Reports are only available in the InBox. For this reason, you will need to download the report prior to the grading of the Unit 2 Assignment. To do this, click on the print icon at the bottom of the Originality Report. This will prepare a readable, PDF version of the Originality Report that you can save to your computer.