Are you pressed for time and haven’t started working on your assignment yet? Would you like to buy an assignment? Use our custom writing services for better grades. Even if your deadline is approaching fast, our writers can handle your task right when you need it. Our writers will complete your order from scratch and make sure it’s completely unique.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400â€“600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
There are several steps involved with the development of new public policy. Research how the U.S. federal government develops new, or revises existing, public policy. Considering all of the steps or stages involved in creating or revising public policy, answer the following questions:
At what stage in the development of homeland security policies is it most important to consider the impact of the U.S. Constitution on those policies? Explain. Policy Implementation
Your response should indicate at what stage in the policy process it is most important to consider the impact of the Constitution, and your response should provide your support for your position.
Why did you select your chosen point in the policy process? Explain in detail.
*Project 1 assignment*
Homeland Security Presidential Directive
|Organization and Operation of the Homeland Security Council
|29 Oct 01
|Combating Terrorism Through Immigration Policies
|29 Oct 01
|Homeland Security Advisory System
|11 March 02
|National Strategy to Combat Weapons of Mass Destruction (unclassified version)
|11 December 02
|Management of Domestic Incidents [Initial National Response Plan, 30 September 03]
|28 February 03
|Integration and Use of Screening Information to Protect Against Terrorism
|16 September 03
|Critical Infrastructure Identification, Prioritization, and Protection
|17 December 03
|17 December 03
|Defense of United States Agriculture and Food
|30 January 04
|Biodefense for the 21st Century
|28 April 04
|Comprehensive Terrorist-Related Screening Procedures
|27 August 04
|Policy for a Common Identification Standard for Federal Employees and Contractors
|27 August 04
|Maritime Security Policy
|21 December 2004
|Domestic Nuclear Detection
|15 April 2005
|U.S. Policy and Strategy in the War on Terror (classified directive) (Annex II)
|6 March 2006
|Aviation Security Policy
|20 June 2006
|Nuclear Materials Information Program
|28 August 2006
|Medical Countermeasures Against Weapons of Mass Destruction
|31 January 2007
|Combating Terrorist Use of Explosives in the United States
|12 February 2007
|National Continuity Policy
|4 April 2007
|Public Health and Medical Preparedness
|18 October 2007
|Domestic Chemical Defense
|Cybersecurity Policy (via EPIC)
|8 January 2008
|Biometrics for Identification and Screening to Enhance National Security
|5 June 2008
|Arctic Region Policy
|9 January 2009
*Pick one HSPD to complete this assignment.*
You are an assistant professor with the Department of Homeland Security, currently teaching undergraduate students at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. You gave a lecture on the U.S. Constitution, homeland security policies, laws and strategies, and their implementation at the national, state,and local levels. Your lecture was quite detailed and long, and many of the students have contacted you with follow-up questions.You have decided that because of the number of questions and the nature of the questions you received, it would be best if you put out a short paper that went into detail about the topic. Apparently, most of the students who attended the lecture did not take notes.
Assignment Guidelines: Utilizing Homeland Security Presidential Directives (HSPD) as a starting point,
please prepare a memo of 2-3 pages in which you describe the relationship that the various agencies at all levels have with homeland security policies, laws, strategies, and the U.S. Constitution.
Use your course materials, the library, and relevant Internet research
options to research HSPD.
For instance, HSPD-8 is a Directive on National Preparedness. Review the HSPD documents found in your research, and choose 1 of the HSPD documents to use for your memo. This is the starting point for this
The highest level of the U.S. government devises homeland security policies and national strategies, but those policies and strategies must be carried out at all levels of government.
Your memo should explain how these policies and strategies are implemented at the federal, state, and local levels, and how the U.S. Constitution can influence that implementation.
Your answer to the following question can assist you in developing your memo: How do national, state, and local agencies implement homeland security policies and strategies while accounting for the requirements of the U.S. Constitution and other laws? Explain in detail. Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.
National Strategy for Aviation Security GAO report on Aviation Security Read Executive Summary, Conclusions and Recommendations.
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400â€“600 words that respond to the following:
Aviation security has the most publicly visible security measures of any critical infrastructure segment. Research and develop a 400-600 word post that discusses hits and misses in aviation security policy. Include in your discussion the following topics:
What aspects of aviation security should be addressed in terms of strengthening them? Where do you see weaknesses?
How would you balance the need for security with the need to get passengers through security efficiently and quickly?
What messages would you develop to gain the publicâ€™s cooperation while undergoing screening measures?
*Individual Project 2*
The purpose of this project is for you to conduct research on the topic of emerging technologies that are supporting the nationâ€™s homeland security mission areas of prevention, protection, response, and recovery. Your research should include the following:
- Government Web sites and press releases
- Archived interviews with HS and public safety officials (you are not expected to conduct interviews)
- Information provided via the Web sites of private-sector companies that develop, manufacture, and sell HS-focused technologies
- News articles
- Web sites of critical infrastructure facilities
- Any type of scholarly resource
Based upon the findings of your research, you are to craft a briefing memo of 1,000â€“1,250 words targeted to your jurisdictionâ€™s chief elected official. The memo should address the key research questions below.
- The briefing memo of 2-3 pages must address the following:
- What new technologies have emerged in the years since September 11, 2001? Explain.
- Of the critical infrastructure sectors identified by DHS, which ones have received the most focus since 9/11? Why?
- Currently, what are the primary focus areas (sectors and types of technologies) of research and development for new HS technologies? Explain.
- Have efforts in the past been focused on the left of boom side or the right of boom side of the incident spectrum? What is the focus now? Why?
- Have any events that have occurred after 9/11 served as catalysts for new areas of technological research and development or investment? Explain.
- Of the new technologies that have emerged, whether they are deployed or not, what successes have been realized? What failures have occurred? Explain in detail.
- From the perspective of how people move around in society, interact with each other, and access services, what impacts have any of the new technologies had on the lives of ordinary citizens? Explain.
- What impacts has advanced technology had on you personally? Explain.
- Compile your responses in your final briefing memo and submit the file to your instructor.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.