Are you pressed for time and haven’t started working on your assignment yet? Would you like to buy an assignment? Use our custom writing services for better grades. Even if your deadline is approaching fast, our writers can handle your task right when you need it. Our writers will complete your order from scratch and make sure it’s completely unique.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Title of Assignment:
Module 6: Endocrine pathophysiology
Purpose of Assignment:
Complications from endocrine disorders can result in wide systemic effects. Analyzing disorders related to endocrine for the nurse is complex and orders provided to treat the clientâ€™s condition can sometimes be puzzling. Consideration of an endocrine case study will help the student learn the complexities of understanding the pathophysiology of an endocrine disorder
- Determine pathophysiologic alterations that affect the reproductive and endocrine systems
Diabetes case study
A 21-year old female (A.M) presents to the urgent care clinic with symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and a fever for 3 days. She states that she has Type I diabetes and has not been managing her blood sugars since sheâ€™s been ill and unable to keep any food down. Sheâ€™s only tolerated sips of water and juices. Since sheâ€™s also been unable to eat, she hasnâ€™t taken any insulin as directed. While helping A.M. from the lobby to the examining room you note that sheâ€™s unsteady, note that her skin in warm and flushed and that sheâ€™s drowsy. You also note that sheâ€™s breathing rapidly and smell a slight sweet/fruity odor. A.M. has a challenge answering questions but keeps asking for water to drink.
You get more information from A.M. and learn
- She had some readings on her glucometer which were reading â€˜highâ€™
- She vomits almost every time she takes in fluid
- She hasnâ€™t voided for a day but voided a great deal the day before
- Sheâ€™s been sleeping long hours and finally woke up this morning and decided to seek care
Current labs and vital signs:
- What is the pathophysiology for the condition you believe A.M. has?
- Relate the etiology and clinical manifestations for the condition you identified for A.M.
- 1000 ml Lactated Ringerâ€™s (LR) IV stat
- 36 units NPH (Humulin N) and 20 units regular (Humulin R) insulin SQ now
- CBC with differential; CMP: blood cultures X2 sites; clean-catch urine for UA and C&S; stool for ova and parasites; Clostridium difficile toxin, and C&S; serum lactate; ketone; osmolality; ABGs on room air
- 1800 calorie, carbohydrate controlled diet
- Bed rest
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 650 mg orally Q4 hrs PRN
- Furosemide (Lasix) 60 mg IV push now
- Urinary output every hour
- VS every shift
- What are the expected treatments for this condition?
The practitioner at the urgent care facility makes the decision that A.M. needs to go to the hospital by ambulance.Once at the Emergency Department (ED), the ED physician orders these items:
The orders above — which are questionable related to her condition and which are appropriate?
Summarize the questions above and formulate what may be happening with A.M. and how you would improve her condition.
Use two evidence-based articles from peer-reviewed journals or scholarly sources to support your findings. Be sure to cite your sources in-text and on a References page using APA format
You can find useful reference materials for this assignment in the School of Nursing guide:
Need help finding evidence-based articles? Use this link:
Have questions about APA? Visit the online APA guide:
Case study adapted from:
Harding, M.M. & Snyder, J.S. (2015). Winninghamâ€™s critical thinking cases in nursing: Medical-surgical, pediatric, maternity, and psychiatric. Retrieved from:
The rubric is uploaded with this paper follow all details